Still recruiting for the summer and september!
Spain internship destinations 2020-2021 for TEFL Internships Spain
& Erasmus+ internships in Spain
We have 100+ teaching internship opportunities every year, across Spain. Out main cities are Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Bilbao, Córdoba, and Salamanca.
Get to communicate in Spanish, live the local culture, and gain confidence and skills for life!
WHO CAN APPLY?
Apply today and let’s get your internship organised within a week! No fees to be paid to us: the language school where we place you pays for our recruitment and TEFL certification fees.
All you need is to be a University Student and hold an EU passport. You can be completing your Year Abroad by signing up for an Erasmus+ traineeship or work experience. Our teaching and admin internships are extremely popular amongst UK and French Universities.
- Interested in completing a comprehensive TEFL Certification programme this year or next year?
- Apply now for one of our TEFL Internships Spain, and as a native or proficient speaker of English, French, and/or Spanish, as a university student: during your year abroad or Erasmus+ year abroad
- You can receive funding through your university and the Erasmus+ grant system. Generally the length of the TEFL Internship is dictated by your degree and the university.
- Ask your Erasmus Coordinator for the university requirements. We are flexible! (Minimum 1 month. Maximum 9 months)
Practise your Spanish!
- To help you make the most of your experience living in Spain you will want to learn or improve your Spanish.
- Whether you are a total beginner or have already studied Spanish you will be given the chance to improve your language skills.
- Throughout your internship the partner language school may provide you with Spanish group classes each week or opportunities to practise your Spanish during the week (in reception or helping in admin).
- If you already have a high level of Spanish you can also apply directly for an admin role in a language school. We also run admin internships, mainly in Barcelona.
How much will it cost?
No fees to us
By applying directly through us and completing an internship in one of our partner schools, you will have no recruitment or certification fees to pay.
Apply here now! Great! Let's get started:
Our interviews are informal and informative!
TEFL Internship in Spain + TEFL Certification in parallel!
A unique Opportunity!
- As long as you are over 18, hold a valid EU passport, are willing to live in Spain for the duration of the programme, and are a proficient user of English, you can apply.
- You have to currently be enrolled at university.
- Don’t forget to send us your CV, whilst specifying your preferred programme length(s), location(s) and start date(s).
- Accredited TEFL Certification with our 1- to 9-month TEFL Internships. (Variable lengths of TEFL internships depending on the University requirements).
- Extensive subject knowledge: General and Academic English Teaching, classroom management and methodology.
- TEFL Classroom experience (1-to-1 and reduced groups, depending on location): with your 30 hours per week of teaching and between 1 and 10 hours of studying.
- We offer 4,5-week to 9-month Erasmus+ internships with the conditions listed on this page.
- Should you wish to apply for 2 cities – if you are a year abroad student you will need more than 16 weeks which you can combine in 2 locations – please contact us directly to discuss your options (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The large majority of your students will be over the age of 18.
- Depending on the school you will also be teaching children and teenagers.
- 95% of the adult students are Spanish natives who are self-motivated to learn English, open and friendly.
- You will be teaching 1-to-1 and to reduced groups (10 learners maximum).
- We recommend you bring your own laptop or tablet to be able to access our e-learning platform for extra support in TEFL theory and Spanish learning materials.
- If you are on any prescription medicine, we also recommend that you bring supplies for the entirety of the programme.
- Anything you think you can use for the classroom: a map, cards, and any teaching materials you may already have (i.e. flashcards).
Living abroad can be at times challenging. Students who approach the experience with an open mind and involve themselves with the diverse opportunities and experiences available to them, will thrive in this environment.
The main challenges you are likely to be faced with are:
- Language barrier
- Spanish timetable – a later start means eating later and finishing later. The siesta time is indeed a cultural shock to some. But you will also get used to it!
- The commute – the partner schools are all in the equivalent of a Zone 1. Depending on the residential or student area you choose to live in, expect up to 40 minutes commuting in Valencia, up to 50 minutes in Barcelona, and up to 60 minutes in Madrid by public transport.
- TEFL Trainer works with host schools in Valencia, Barcelona, Madrid, Cordoba, Salamanca, and Bilbao.
- For further details on these locations and the host language schools, please enquire.
As long as you avoid sportswear and beachwear, the dress code is quite relaxed, casual yet smart.
- There is a reduced admin fee for Erasmus+ students (discounted to £25 > ask for your discount code once accepted on the programme). This fee is 100% optional as once we create your student file with all your university forms we generate FREE logins for you. Please note that you have to be an Erasmus student when on the internship, with a university agreement.
- There is a much higher fee for non Erasmus students and Graduates.
- The length of the teaching internship varies. It is generally between 1 and 9 months long for Erasmus students. To be discussed during the interview stage.
- For non students our blended courses offer hours of webinars and classroom-based workshops for further teaching practice.
- From your induction on day 1 to your final week, you will be supported by a team on-site and have access to online guidance, in order to build your knowledge base and teaching skills to become a confident and effective teacher for your students.
- The unique teaching methods and lesson structures in the partner schools means that all classes from General English sessions to Exam Preparation classes have lesson plans and materials at your disposal.
- We work with numerous host language schools across Spain (referred to as “partner schools” or “host organisations”) and offer starting dates all year round.
- Our partner schools can carry out inductions throughout the year. Upon applying we will offer you specific starting dates, according to your availability and the host schools’ needs and availabilities.
- TEFL theory is presented to you throughout the programme, in an organic fashion. This equates to approximately 140 hours (induction, CPD, assignments, and final exams included).
- During the hours spent at the language school, you will be able to cover the theoretical part of the course. We therefore recommend you bring a tablet or laptop to access our online TEFL resources – as wi-fi is available in the language schools.
- The combination of face to face and distance activity makes our blended learning extremely effective.
- 1-to-1 class can last up to 1,5 hours
- Group classes last 40 minutes to 2 hours.
- On Erasmus+ you will be working a 30-hour week Monday to Friday, plus 1 Saturday morning per month.
- Your shifts will vary day to day.
- Typical shift hours may be: 10.00am – 4.40pm with a 40-minute break for lunch. / 2:40pm – 9.20pm with a 40-minute break.
- Or: split shifts with longer lunch breaks.
- Don’t worry, you will always be tutoring based on a prepared lesson plan or text book.
- We recommend you start learning some basic Spanish before the internship, simply as you will enjoy your stay more as you will be able to order food, ask for directions etc.
- We have numerous applicants who already have a degree level in Spanish, or even have a native level of Spanish.
- Language schools sometimes offer admin roles too: enquire if you are interested.
- TEFL Trainer strives to support you to develop your teaching skills and subject knowledge. 95% of our trainees complete their internship.
- The 5% drop out rate can be explained by a change in personal circumstances prior to their arrival or by the following factors: difficulty to adapt culturally, or realisation that teaching is not for them.
- Very seldom do people get expelled from the internship.
- We receive applications from candidates from numerous fields of study.
- The Erasmus+ internship is available for students so applicants of 18-25 years of age. We look for a variety of profiles (degrees, work experience, etc.).
- Although most of the videos on our website reflect the younger age bracket, we have to stress that it is solely because they were the only ones that were not camera shy the day we shot the testimonials!
- Also, on our programme, we have people that are seeking a radical change in career in their late 30s and 40s, as well as recently graduated 20/25-year olds looking to use their language skills and learn a profession.
- During each interview, we make sure to draw up a detailed profile of our candidates so as to present the partner schools with a reflection of that variety of backgrounds and ages.
Still have some questions? Talk to us!
Our calls are informal and informative!