TEFL Crash Course Weekend Courses in Valencia, Spain combined with 1 week of volunteering*
NEXT CRASH COURSE: AUGUST in VALENCIA
20-hour classroom-based TEFL course in Valencia (teaching workshop practice on Saturday and Sunday)
+ 25 hours of volunteering in a language school (*optional, Monday to Friday)
+ 140-hour accredited online TEFL Certification course
+ 20-hour specialist add-on course (How to teach Young Learners)
+ 3 Skype online mentoring sessions
+ 12 assignments (6 diaries and 6 lesson plans)…!
If you are serious about becoming TEFL qualified, and already have some experience with Teaching English as a Foreign Language, sign up now for our extremely comprehensive and effective blended TEFL Crash Course, which takes place online before and after your classroom experience in Valencia, Spain.
We have various start dates throughout the year depending on the availabilities in the partner schools. This TEFL Crash Course lasts 20 hours (mandatory hours over a weekend + optional 1 week in a school) and is ideal for graduates (and other non-students) wishing to start a career in TEFL. All degrees and ages are welcome! Requirement: no Visa, and proficient level of English.
This TEFL Crash Course includes:
- *Classes in Valencia – course location varies – are all Saturday and all Sunday from 10:00 until 18:00 – with regular breaks including a 30-minute lunch break. The remaining 4 hours of workshops are done through webinars before or after the weekend course, and online.
- 6 online exams to complete, as part of the summative and final evaluation of our Online TEFL Course, within 6 months from starting the course.
- 6 lesson plans to submit to TEFL Trainer within 6 months from starting the course.
- 6 reflective diaries to submit to TEFL Trainer within 6 months from starting the course.
- 3 x 15-minute Skype coaching sessions with your TEFL Trainer mentor, to complete within 6 months from starting the course, and preferably before the crash course, to run through the 6 lesson plans and 6 reflective diaries. Our booking system makes it easy for you to coincide with your TEFL Mentor!
- A hard copy of your Certificate posted to you upon completion of the programme and reception of the 6 reflective diaries, 6 lesson plans, and completion of the 6 final exams. All learning blocks must be successfully completed within 6 months from signing up, to receive the Certificate. We will also send you an email with the breakdown of your grade.
Ideally, before doing the crash course in Spain, you should have completed the online part of the course in its entirety as well as at least 2 of your 3 mentoring sessions with your TEFL Trainer.
A/ COURSE AIM: Why do this TEFL course?
The overall aim of TEFL Trainer’s Accredited TEFL Certification Course is to:
- make you very knowledgeable in all course types and levels,
- ensure that you have a high level of language awareness (phonetics and grammar: getting up to speed with these language systems is key),
- make sure that you know how to deliver a structured, enjoyable, and effective class, and
- give you the confidence to face a classroom of your own.
This sound introduction to the world of teaching is paramount for a successful career in TEFL.
B/ ELIGIBILITY: Who can do this TEFL course?
Sign up today!
You are recommended to register for this course if you meet the following criteria:
- This course is for aspiring English teachers, no limit of age.
- Some experience in teaching is valued but definitely not required. / Course also ideal for teachers looking to become TEFL certified.
- High level of English (fluent/proficient levels are welcome, native and non-native of course).
- Determination and willingness to learn are key.
- Non-EU passport holders may also complete this course as no visa support is needed for such a short course. You may come as a tourist and participate in this crash course.
- We recommend you organise a phone interview with one of TEFL Trainer’s mentors before starting the programme. We also recommend a Skype mentoring session to run through the Student Handbook you receive upon signing up. We are always available by email to provide further support and guidance. BOOK HERE
- Limited places throughout the year.
- Please make sure to arrive in Spain a day before your course starts, and leave the day after the course ends.
Currently at university and planning your Year Abroad? If so, Erasmus students please click here as requirements differ.
C/ COURSE SYLLABUS: What will you learn?
TEFL Trainer’s Accredited TEFL Certification Courses all contain various learning blocks:
BLOCK 1: online (140 hours of videos, text, and interactive exercises + 20-hour specialist add-on course on how to teach young learners):
A/ Basics of Teaching: an introduction to TEFL.
B/ Phonetics: a comprehensive unit to understand the IPA and start using it to teach phonology and pronunciation.
C/ Grammar: a thorough review of word classes, functions, and more.
D/ TEFL language and levels units, to start planning your lessons.
E/ TEFL Practice units.
F/ Classroom Management theory.
G/ Methodology units.
H/ TEFL Job Interview Preparation units, and
I/ 6 final exams (on Chapters A, B, C, D, E, and F).
BLOCK 2: assignments (6 reflective diaries)
- 6 reflective diaries
- 400 words each
- 100 subjects to choose from
- a first draft can be submitted to receive feedback: a mentoring session is generally dedicated to the choice of your topics and feedback on 1st drafts
- grading grid and guidelines provided (Student Handbook: PDF sent to you upon signing up)
BLOCKS 3: assignments (6 lesson plans)
- 6 lesson plans with hand-outs / annexes
- 50 subjects to choose from
- a first draft can be submitted to receive feedback
- grading grid and guidelines provided (Student Handbook)
- onsite class observations in a language school for the week preceding or following the weekend crash course. Optional 25 hours of teaching.
D/ COURSE ASSESSMENT
Your certificate is obtained and graded as follows:
- Online course: 30% of final grade
- Reflective Diaries: 30% of final grade
- Lesson Plans 20% of final grade
- Participation in the Crash Course and/or Teaching Volunteering: 20% of final grade.
You must obtain a minimum of 60% in each of the learning blocks, in order to pass the course.
E/ MORE ABOUT THE COURSE
First of all, the Online part of our TEFL Certification Course comprises a complete Grammar Course, Phonetics Course, Methodology Units, Language and Levels Units, as well as Classroom Management Units. TEFL Trainer’s online TEFL Course focuses on the most essential TEFL skills and is considered a complete and advanced course of TEFL Certification.
In short, our professional video tutorials explaining TEFL essentials point by point, using plain English and lingo, enable you to gradually acquire the “metalanguage” (lingo of Grammar) and other jargon, as well as good subject knowledge. The videos are supplemented by interactive exercises and text you can read online.
You have access to our course for 6 months upon signing up.
The ideal way to complete the TEFL Crash Course would be:
- 1 Skype session to run through the Student Handbook and receive general guidance for the course.
- Complete the online course at your own pace (122 mini chapters with quizzes and 6 final exams when you are ready) – generally completed over a 1 to 6-month period > any support or extra guidance would be provided by email.
- 1 Skype session to discuss your 12 topics (lesson plans and reflective diaries).
- 1 Skype session to go over your teaching experience in Spain, and run through all your grades and run through your CV whilst discussing how to apply for a job in TEFL.
- Complete the 20-hour weekend classroom-based crash course in Spain.
F/ COURSE ACCREDITATION
Last but not least, we are a fully Accredited and Recognised TEFL Certification provider: more information here.
G/ OTHER COSTS
If you are doing the weekend teaching immersion in Spain, you will also need to cover the costs of:
- your flights (from €100 return, in Europe),
- your accommodation (from €60/night) – we are here to provide guidance so as to make sure you choose a nice neighbourhood and a reasonable commute,
- insurance – travel / health – optional yet recommended, and
- any other expenses not listed above.
H/ TEFL CRASH COURSE DATES
If you are unable to attend the weekend course in Spain, you may submit your 6 lesson plans and 6 reflective diaries, and complete your 6 online exams, to obtain your accredited TEFL certificate. No refunds possible.