What are the best books for further TEFL development?
We often get asked by our TEFL trainees which TEFL books they should read in order to improve their teaching or further their understanding of grammar and Use of English.
Here is a comprehensive list of references:
“700 Classroom Activities”: Ideal for group teaching and last-minute lesson planning. This is a great source of inspiration for basing lessons around particular vocabulary or grammar points.
“Practical English Usage” by Mickael Swan: This is great for native speakers of English and proficient non-native users of English (Advanced or Proficient learners of English). This book is great to develop your confidence as a teacher of EFL.
- About Language. Cambridge: CUP. Thornbury, S. 1997.
- Designing Language Courses: A Guide for Teachers. London: Heinle and Heinle. Graves, K. 2000.
- Exploring English Language Teaching. London: Routledge. Hall, G. 2011.
- Games for Language Learning (3rd edition). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Wright, Betteridge & Buckby, 2006.
- How Languages are Learned (4th edition). Oxford: OUP. Lightbown, P. and Spada, N. 2013.
- How to Teach English (2nd edition). Harlow: Pearson Longman. Harmer, J. 2007.
- Learning about Language Assessment. Boston: Heinle and Heinle. Bailey, K.M. 1998.
- Learning Teaching (3rd edition). Oxford: Macmillan. Srivener, J. 2011.
- Methodology in Language Teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Richards, J. and Renandya, W. 2002.
- Practical English Usage (3rd edition). Oxford. Michael Swan. 2005.
- Sound Foundations. Oxford: Macmillan Heinemann. Underhill, A. 1994.
- Teaching and Learning in the Language Classroom. Oxford: OUP. Hedge, T. 2000.
- Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language (3rd edition). Boston: Heinle and Heinle. Celce-Murcia, M. 2002.
- Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching (2nd edition). Oxford: OUP. Larsen-Freeman, D. 2000.
- Testing for Language Teachers (2nd edition). Cambridge: CUP. Hughes, A. 2003.
- Vocabulary in Language Teaching. Cambridge: CUP. Schmitt, N. 2000.
Recommended Academic Journals:
- ELT Journal
- TESOL Quarterly
For more resources and materials, sign up for one of our TEFL Certification Courses and gain access to 100s of Lesson Plans! Sign up here.