COURSE SYLLABUS: What will you learn?
TEFL Trainer’s Accredited TEFL Certification Courses all contain various learning blocks:
BLOCK 1: online (140 hours of videos, text, and interactive exercises + 20-hour specialist add-on course on how to teach young learners):
A/ Basics of Teaching: an introduction to TEFL.
B/ Phonetics: a comprehensive unit to understand the IPA and start using it to teach phonology and pronunciation.
C/ Grammar: a thorough review of word classes, functions, and more.
D/ TEFL language and levels units, to start planning your lessons.
E/ TEFL Practice units.
F/ Classroom Management theory.
G/ Methodology units.
H/ TEFL Job Interview Preparation units, and
I/ 6 final exams (on Chapters A, B, C, D, E, and F).
BLOCK 2: assignments (6 reflective diaries)
- 6 reflective diaries
- 400 words each
- 100 subjects to choose from
- a first draft can be submitted to receive feedback: a mentoring session is generally dedicated to the choice of your topics and feedback on 1st drafts
- grading grid and guidelines provided (Student Handbook: PDF sent to you upon signing up)
BLOCKS 3: assignments (6 lesson plans)
- 6 lesson plans with hand-outs / annexes
- 50 subjects to choose from
- a first draft can be submitted to receive feedback
- grading grid and guidelines provided (Student Handbook)
- onsite class observations in a language school for the week preceding or following the weekend crash course. Optional 25 hours of teaching.
D/ COURSE ASSESSMENT
Your certificate is obtained and graded as follows:
- Online course: 30% of final grade
- Reflective Diaries: 30% of final grade
- Lesson Plans 20% of final grade
- Participation in the Crash Course and/or Teaching Volunteering: 20% of final grade.
You must obtain a minimum of 60% in each of the learning blocks, in order to pass the course.
E/ MORE ABOUT THE COURSE
First of all, the Online part of our TEFL Certification Course comprises a complete Grammar Course, Phonetics Course, Methodology Units, Language and Levels Units, as well as Classroom Management Units. TEFL Trainer’s online TEFL Course focuses on the most essential TEFL skills and is considered a complete and advanced course of TEFL Certification.
In short, our professional video tutorials explaining TEFL essentials point by point, using plain English and lingo, enable you to gradually acquire the “metalanguage” (lingo of Grammar) and other jargon, as well as good subject knowledge. The videos are supplemented by interactive exercises and text you can read online.
You have access to our course for 6 months upon signing up.
The ideal way to complete the TEFL Crash Course would be:
- 1 Skype session to run through the Student Handbook and receive general guidance for the course.
- Complete the online course at your own pace (122 mini chapters with quizzes and 6 final exams when you are ready) – generally completed over a 1 to 6-month period > any support or extra guidance would be provided by email.
- 1 Skype session to discuss your 12 topics (lesson plans and reflective diaries).
- 1 Skype session to go over your teaching experience in Spain, and run through all your grades and run through your CV whilst discussing how to apply for a job in TEFL.
- Complete the 20-hour weekend classroom-based crash course in Spain.
F/ COURSE ACCREDITATION
Last but not least, we are a fully Accredited and Recognised TEFL Certification provider: more information here.